Clif Flynt Professional Information
8888 Black Pine
Whitmore Lake, Michigan 48189
I have worked in the computer field since 1978 developing
engineering, scientific and business applications. I have
experience with a wide variety of operating systems ranging from real
time kernels to VMS, and with programming languages ranging from
Am2900 microcode to HTML and Tcl/Tk. I have over 10 years
of experience with several flavors of Unix and the C language.
As a project leader, system designer, senior programmer, and consultant
I have worked on a wide range of projects. I have designed software
packages for displaying large CAD-CAM images on MS-DOS based PC's,
analyzing DNA data using coarse grained distributed processing,
analyzing 2-D electrophoresis gels, vending videotapes, distributing
software over phone lines, computer aided instruction, automated
testing of software and hardware, and internet-based applications
including web and e-mail robots.
As a network administrator I have designed and managed a 7x24 testing
facility, installed firewalls, and acted as a consultant for web
As a designer I have developed projects using structured, object-oriented,
and rapid-prototype design methodologies. I am vehement about
design process, documentation, code control, testing and validation.
I have worked independently and led small teams in both
traditional and remote working environments. I have managed projects
in all phases, from preparing designs, schedules and resource
allocations to final rollout, delivery and customer training.
- "Tclsh Spot", bi-monthly column, :login; magazine.
- _Tcl/Tk_For_Real_Programmers_, Harcourt-Brace, scheduled for publication: 1998
- "Tcl/Tk Program Development Tools", Tcl/Tk Workshop Proceedings, USENIX 1998
- "Coding Techniques for Reducing Code Maintenance", Tcl/Tk Workshop Proceedings, USENIX 1997
- Technical Reviewer: _Tcl/Tk_Programmers_Reference by Chris Nelson, O'Reilly Press, 2000
- Technical Reviewer: _Interactive_Web_Applications_in_Tcl/Tk_ by Michael Doyle & Hattie Schroeder,
- Technical Reviewer: _Practical_Programming_in_Tcl_and_Tk_ by Brent Welch,
10/97 - Present -- Consultant
Flynt Consulting Services, 9300 Fleming Rd. Dexter, MI 48130
Software Development & Training
- 1/99 - 5/99
Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
Taught Scheme based Computer Science I course
- 1/99 - 5/99
Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
Taught Java based Computer Science II course
- Extended 7x24 automated manufacturing test platform to support
client/server style power control.
- Developed Tcl extension for regression testing software libraries
and load testing a web-based information system.
- Installed and maintained firewall systems.
5/96 - 10/97 -- Sr. Research Engineer
First Virtual Holdings, Inc, San Diego, CA - Ann Arbor Office
- Prototyped internet-based software agent software.
- Designed and developed E-Mail robot package for processing electronic mail.
- Developed automated testing package for regression testing software.
- Upgraded SafeTcl interpreter from Tcl 7.3 to Tcl 7.6.
- Participated in design and prototyping of new commerce models.
7/93 - 5/96 -- Sr. Engineer
Applied Intelligent Systems, Ann Arbor, MI
Machine Vision using a SIMD parallel computer
- Responsible for designing and implementing automated testing suite for computers manufactured by AISI.
- Responsible for migrating that test package to an outside manufacturing site.
- Responsible for maintaining and enhancing four machine vision projects with 2 major customers.
- Implemented a source code control system, database for bug tracking, and automated testing for controlling these projects.
- Designed and implemented automated test package for software development.
- Responsible for designing and maintaining software diagnostics.
- Designed and implemented a package for backing up disks that aren't NFS mounted across the network from a central machine.
1/92 - 7/93 -- Member Tech Staff
Computational Biosciences, Ann Arbor, MI
X-Windows/Unix based DNA Sequence Analysis package
- Designed and implemented distributed processing subroutine package.
- Designed and implemented interprocess communications using pipes and
shared memory for use with and without X Windows.
- Designed and implemented interprocess communications using sockets for
use with X Windows.
- Designed and implemented a distributed make for compiling code on
multiple machines on a network. This reduced a 2 hour compile to 20 minutes.
- Designed and implemented GUI widgets under X-View.
- Designed, implemented and maintained a source code control environment
based on RCS that
- Automatically validated code before allowing a user to check in code.
- Automatically generated makefiles & dependencies.
- Automatically included new code in libraries.
- Automatically generated new executables.
1/90 - 1/92 -- Project Leader
Veracity, Inc., Walled Lake, MI
MS-DOS based display package for large images.
- Designed and implemented major portions of the device independent
graphics, human interface, and file access portions of the package.
- Responsible for design and maintenance of infrastructure necessary to
coordinate four people working in a distributed environment,
including evaluation and purchase of software and hardware tools.
- Responsible for coordinating programmer effort, assigning tasks,
and adhering to schedule.
- Responsible for finding and hiring new personnel.
5/88 - 1/90 -- Senior Programmer/Manager
Cimage Corp., Ann Arbor, MI
Port Cad/Cam graphics package from MS-DOS to Unix/X platforms (Apollo, Sun, and IBM RT)
- Acted as Team Leader on the IBM RT port, coordinating efforts of
6-12 programmers at various times.
- Ported large sections of graphics code from IBM/PC graphics to
- Developed a malloc library that would check for memory errors.
3/86 - 5/88 -- Consultant
Resource 1, Lansing, MI
Contract programmer. Completed two one year contracts at customer site.
- "x" to pseudocode translator using lex and yacc under Unix.
- Designed and implemented prototype for source code control and
revision update system. This system automatically updated client
sites and received confirmation via phone network. Automatically
updated database upon confirmation of successful installation.
- Evaluated diagnostics requirements, established bug report procedures.
- Prepared requirements documents, time/personnel estimates, critical
path analysis, and completion schedules.
- Participated as team member developing a Point of Sale controller for
intelligent remote sales terminals. Contributed to both design and
implementation of this system.
- Direct responsibility for design and implementation report generation
and data editor. These routines featured formatted screens and context
sensitive help, and could be used without training, or manual.
- Designed and implemented multilayer B tree for part of database.
8/81 - 3/86 -- Systems Engineer
Bioimage Corp., Ann Arbor, MI
68000/Unix based system for analyzing 2-dimensional electrophoresis gels
- Driver for Parallel DMA board under UNIX operating system.
- Modified driver for Eikonix scanning array camera.
- Wrote device drivers for DMA graphics systems.
- Device independent support library for graphics display systems
- Programs for curve fitting to multiple gaussian curves using
Newtonian, Least Squares and Simplex algorithms.
- Floating Point Math package for MC 68000 UNIX computer.
- Disk support subroutines for non-DEC directory drive on 11/23.
- Terminal emulation program with file download capability.
- Primary responsibility for evaluating and choosing equipment to
use for image analysis system. (computer, camera,
graphics display system).
- Full responsibility for assembly, testing, and installation
- Performed sales demonstrations at customer sites.
- Performed customer training.
- Responsible for managing field service program. Instituted
database record keeping, supervised staff, set schedules.
8/81 - 1/97 -- Contract Programmer
Small projects for different clients
- Performed IP network administration.
- Configured Linux based firewall system.
- Designed and developed automated E-Mail robot.
- Performed Usenet news administration.
- Designed and developed database and conferencing package.
- Designed and developed database package including screen editor, sort/merge, report
generation and backup for industrial hearing testing system..
- Designed and developed screen control subroutine package to extend RM Cobol.
- Designed and developed hardware/software package for taking an image from a video
camera and printing it on a line printer on 8088 based IBM PC/Dos 1.0.
- Designed and developed program to log into Compuserve, get current quotes on selected
stocks, and merge the new data to previous data base.
- Designed and developed subroutine package to support TU-58 in non-DEC directory
- Designed and developed Small Business Accounting and Payroll packages.
- Designed and developed automated upload/download routine for text formatting system.
4/81 - 8/81 -- Contract Programmer
Software Services Corp., Ann Arbor, MI
Package to convert from screen graphics to hardcopy slides
- Implemented package to accept image data in vector format
and translate it to run length encoded pixel format.
- Designed and implemented program to operate a Celco camera.
8/79 - 3/81 -- Programmer
Applied Dynamics Int., Ann Arbor, MI
Software support for hardware development engineering
- Diagnostics for debugging microwave communications interface.
- Device driver for DMA interface to Perkin Elmer 8/32.
- Debugged and improved sort/merge utility on 11/34.
- Rewrote hardware manual for AD10 array processor.
- Developed subroutine library for DMA access between PDP 11 and AD10 array processor.
6/78 - 8/79 -- Technician
Gelman Scientific Inc., Ann Arbor, MI
Quality Control support for testing and manufacturing
- Programming PDP 11/03 (RT-11) for lab database and statistics.
- Debugging Plotter driver (Fortran and MACRO).
- Programming PDP 11/03 to operate a device to determine pore size
distribution in membranes.
6/75 - 1/77 -- Research Technician
SUNY Research Foundation, Syracuse, NY
Isolation and identification of natural products released from insects, and plants.
- Performed vapor pressure analysis of disparlure.
- Purified compounds via gas chromotagraphy.
- Identified compounds with mass spectrography, NMR, IR and UV.
- B.S. 1975, State University of New York at Syracuse.
- Over 20 hours of non-matriculated coursework at graduate
and undergraduate level in math, electronics and computer science.